A properly maintained, cleaned and swept chimney is a must in preventing dangerous chimney fires. Every year, thousands of homeowners experience a chimney fire, almost always due to improper or a lack of maintenance. A chimney fire can damage your structure, destroy your home or even kill you or your family. Many people have heard of cresote (the sticky residue that accumulates on your chimney walls), but many homeowners give no thought to this hazard–until it’s too late. A chimney fire and the extreme heat it generates (up to 2,000 degrees F) can collapse and damage the outer masonry, melt the mortar and damage tiles, destroy the flue liners the roofing and more!